The sermon yesterday was on surrendering to God.
Mark 8:34-35
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will save it."
All my life that has just sounded like a good idea, but it never really sunk in, I never really understood it. It wasn't a call to be miserable, and I guess that's what I had missed before.. Christ is calling us to deny ourselves, which is the complete opposite of what the world says. When we pick our way over God's way, we lose the life God intends for us. Did you catch that part about when we try to hang on to our lives we will lose it? We will lose our intended lives! How saddening is that?? Daily I make the choice to do what I want, with small exceptions, but still the same as a majority of the world. But that means that daily I am missing out on part of the best God has for me each day. Because only with Christ can I have joy despite my circumstances!
It is impossible to half surrender.. So if this is a daily choice, that actually could and should sometimes be a moment by moment choice....What am I trying to hold onto?
That's a rough question to ask, but the first thing that popped into my head was MY WILL. My own, very limited and selfish will, that's what carries me from day to day. The desire to please and serve and satisfy myself. How sad!
So I asked God to break my will. I actually truly want Him to crumble it. I know He won't abuse that and humiliate me, because He has the best in store for me. But it still is hard, scary really. How am I supposed to know what He's going to do, or call me to? I don't. And I asked for the hard things. I asked for opportunities to have my will broken, tough circumstances thrown my way, sharing and serving opportunities, ANYTHING that causes me to be unselfish.
You know what's funny about that? Last time I remember doing a small semblance of this, I had a crappy day. Like a really crappy day and I responded like a spoiled rotten child. Angry, upset, jaded, pouty, and then humiliated when I remembered what I had asked the Lord to do and I shuttered at my response.
So keep me honest, friends! Its obviously a constant battle, so I need to be on my guard and kept accountable.
Mark 8:34-35
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will save it."
All my life that has just sounded like a good idea, but it never really sunk in, I never really understood it. It wasn't a call to be miserable, and I guess that's what I had missed before.. Christ is calling us to deny ourselves, which is the complete opposite of what the world says. When we pick our way over God's way, we lose the life God intends for us. Did you catch that part about when we try to hang on to our lives we will lose it? We will lose our intended lives! How saddening is that?? Daily I make the choice to do what I want, with small exceptions, but still the same as a majority of the world. But that means that daily I am missing out on part of the best God has for me each day. Because only with Christ can I have joy despite my circumstances!
It is impossible to half surrender.. So if this is a daily choice, that actually could and should sometimes be a moment by moment choice....What am I trying to hold onto?
That's a rough question to ask, but the first thing that popped into my head was MY WILL. My own, very limited and selfish will, that's what carries me from day to day. The desire to please and serve and satisfy myself. How sad!
So I asked God to break my will. I actually truly want Him to crumble it. I know He won't abuse that and humiliate me, because He has the best in store for me. But it still is hard, scary really. How am I supposed to know what He's going to do, or call me to? I don't. And I asked for the hard things. I asked for opportunities to have my will broken, tough circumstances thrown my way, sharing and serving opportunities, ANYTHING that causes me to be unselfish.
You know what's funny about that? Last time I remember doing a small semblance of this, I had a crappy day. Like a really crappy day and I responded like a spoiled rotten child. Angry, upset, jaded, pouty, and then humiliated when I remembered what I had asked the Lord to do and I shuttered at my response.
So keep me honest, friends! Its obviously a constant battle, so I need to be on my guard and kept accountable.
First comment EVAH!!!!
ReplyDelete" I know He won't abuse that and humiliate me, because He has the best in store for me."
Favorite, favorite. Thank you for posting this.
Kate, this is beautiful. Just last night I was praying that God will transform MY limited, human, selfish will into His perfect will for me. It's so hard to let go of that control, but you know what? I already am experiencing the peace that comes from giving God complete control.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to reading your posts! :)
Hi, Kate!
ReplyDeleteI've always loved your honesty. It's challenging and encouraging.
I'll be watching for your posts, my friend!
Thank you for the encouragement, my friends! I am loving the opportunity to share what God is doing in each of our lives!
ReplyDelete